Seitan Seafood (Scallops, Fish, Clams, Shrimp)
Remember that seitan expands quite a bit so whatever shape you cut, make the pieces at least half as small as you want them to be.
Seitan seafood can be used in stir-fries or batter-fried and served with a dipping sauce. Adding some nori or dulse seaweed flakes to the batter gives it a more seafood taste.
- Gluten Dough
- 2 1/2 cups pure gluten powder (vital wheat gluten)
- 2 cups cold water
- Cooking Broth
- 4 cups water
- 6 inch / 15 cm piece kombu seaweed
- 1 1/2 T salt
- 4 dried Chinese black mushrooms
- 2 T lemon juice
- 1 T sugar
- 1 t dried garlic
To make the raw gluten, mix together the gluten flour and the water. Mix until if forms a smooth, firm dough. Knead briefly. Keep your hands wet when handling the dough for the rest of steps.
For Scallops: Shape the raw gluten dough into a long roll about 1 inch / 2.5 cm in diameter. Cut into little rounds like very thin scallops. Mix the cooking broth ingredients and bring to a boil. Drop in the gluten rounds and simmer for 30 minutes. Refrigerate overnight in the cooking broth.
For Fish: flatten the raw gluten into very thin fillet shapes. If your pieces are too big, just cut them. Mix the cooking broth and bring to a low boil. Add the gluten fillets and return to a low boil, rather than a simmer and cook for 30 minutes. this makes a softer seitan. Refrigerate overnight in the cooking broth.
For Clams: Tear the raw gluten into tiny bits. Bring the cooking broth to a boil and drop in the gluten pieces. Boil for 3 minutes and refrigerate overnight in the cooking broth.
For Shrimp: cut the raw gluten into little wedge shapes about 1 1/2 / 3.5 cm long and 1/2 inch / 1.5 cm thick. Mix the cooking broth and bring to a simmer. Drop in the gluten and simmer for 30 minutes. Refrigerate overnight in cooking broth.
You'll also love
- Wolfgang's Garlic Bread Recipe 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Tipperary Creamy Mushroom Soup 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Greetings From Asbury Park Seafood... 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Crab Dip Ann M. 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Vineyard Clam Chowder 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Shrimp Linguine 4/5 (1 Votes)
- SLOW COOKER Thai Squash Soup with... 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Tilapia Fillets 4/5 (1 Votes)