Okra and Tomatoes
- 4 strips bacon
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 lb. fresh, tender okra, cut into 1/4" - 1/2" pieces
- 1 16 oz. can tomatoes
- 1/4 C. Vinegar
1. Soak okra 1/2 hour in vinegar. Drain for 1 hour to eliminate slimy okra.
2. Saute bacon until crisp in a large skillet. Remove bacon. Reserve fat and saute pepper and onion until soft.
3. Remove onion and pepper, add 1 Tbsp. olive oil or bacon grease and saute okra pieces to sear the edges.
4. Return pepper and onion to the pan with the okra. Chop tomatoes in fairly large pieces and add to the pan with the liquid. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Let mixture stew 10 to 15 minutes before serving. Add the crumbled bacon before serving.