Baked Beef Ziti (WW 5pts)
- 12 ounces uncooked ziti
- 1 teaspoon Olive oil
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1/3 pound Ground beef lean
- 1 teaspoon Dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon Dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon Rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper
- 28 ounce Tomatoes crushed
- 1 cup Part Skim Mozzarella Cheese
- I used whole wheat pasta, Lean Ground Beef and used Tomatoes (Italian Style). **
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 50mins
Adapted from mom2mycrazy2.blogspot.com
Preheat oven to 350°F.
* Cook pasta according to package directions without added fat or salt; drain and set aside.
* Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat; add garlic and sauté 2 minutes. Add beef and cook until browned, breaking up the meat as it cooks, about 3 to 5 minutes; drain off any fat and return pan to heat.
* Add oregano, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper; stir to coat beef. Cook until herbs become fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
* Spoon a small amount of tomato mixture into the bottom of a 4-quart casserole dish (just enough to cover the surface). Top with half of the cooked ziti and then layer with half of the remaining tomato sauce and half of the mozzarella cheese. Layer remaining ziti on top and top with remaining sauce and mozzarella cheese. Bake until cheese is golden and bubbly, about 30 minutes. Yields about 1 cup per serving.