Acorn Squash with couscous filling
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 large acorn squash, halved and seeded
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 cup garbanzo beans, drained
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked couscous
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 50mins
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Arrange squash halves cut side down on a baking sheet. Bake 30 minutes, or until tender. Dissolve the sugar in the melted butter. Brush squash with the butter mixture, and keep squash warm while preparing the stuffing.
3. Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the garlic, celery, and carrots, and cook 5 minutes. Mix in the garbanzo beans and raisins. Season with cumin, salt, and pepper, and continue to cook and stir until vegetables are tender.
4. Pour the chicken broth into the skillet, and mix in the couscous. Cover skillet, and turn off heat. Allow couscous to absorb liquid for 5 minutes. Stuff squash halves with the skillet mixture to serve.