Honey Thyme Roasted Carrots and Parsnips
- 1 pound (500 g) of large carrots, peeled and sliced 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick on an angle
- 1 pound (500 g) of parsnips, given the carrot treatment
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) of vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) of honey
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) of water
- A sprinkle or two of salt and lots of freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) of minced fresh thyme
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 55mins
Preheat your oven to 350°F (190°C).
Toss the carrots, parsnips, oil, honey, and water together. Season to your taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to a large baking dish and roast, stirring once or twice, until the veggies are lightly caramelized and deeply flavoured, about 45 minutes. At the last second stir in the thyme and green onions. Serve
within the range of caramelizing temperatures, 350°F (190°C) is relatively low but perfect for this deeply flavoured dish. At this heat, the heartier root vegetables have time to soften as their surface browns. Any higher and the big chunks would burn before they had a chance to tenderize.