Apple Pie Ina Garten
I LOVE this Apple Pie recipe from Ina Garten! I enjoy it served warm with ice cream.
- 4 pounds granny smith apples, peeled, cored, quartered and cored
- 1 lemon zested
- 1 orange zested
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tablespoon orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/2 cup Sugar plus 1 teaspoon to sprinkle on top
- 1/4 cup Plain Flour
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground Allspice
- 1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit.
Cut each apple quarter in thirds crosswise and combine in a bowl with the zests, juices, 1/2 cup sugar, flour, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice.
Roll out half the pie dough and drape it over a 9 or 10 inch pie pan to extend about 1/2-inch over the rim. Don't stretch the dough; if it's too small, just put it back on the board and re-roll it.
Fill the pie with the apple mixture. Brush the edge of the bottom pie crust with the egg wash so the top crust will adhere. Top with the second crust and trim the edges to about 1-inch over the rim. Tuck the edge of the top crust under the edge of the bottom crust and crimp the 2 together with your fingers or a fork. Brush the entire top crust with the egg wash, sprinkle with 1 teaspoon sugar, and cut 4 or 5 slits.
Place the pie on a sheet pan and bake for 1 to 1 1/4 hours, or until the crust is browned and the juices begin to bubble out. Serve warm.