Crunchy Shrimp Wontons with Green-Onion Dipping Sauce
If you're a shrimp lover like me, you'll LOVE these Crunchy Shrimp Wontons served with a Green-Onion Dipping Sauce. The perfect appetizer or snack!
- 1 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped plus leaves and tender stems from 24 sprigs
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 24 large shell-on shrimp (20 to 24 per pound)
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 24 square wonton wrappers
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 3 tablespoons green onion, finely chopped
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 45mins
In a large bowl, whisk together ½ cup soy sauce, chopped cilantro, lemon zest, 2 tablespoons ginger, and 1 tablespoon sesame oil.
Peel shrimp, leaving tails on, and devein. Add to soy mixture and marinate, covered, 15 to 20 minutes at room temperature. Drain shrimp in a colander, spread out on paper towels, and pat dry.
Pour oil into a deep, heavy pot to a depth of 3 inches and heat to 375°F.
Meanwhile, spread out wonton wrappers. Working with one wrapper at a time, put several cilantro leaves and stems along wrapper edge nearest you. Top them with a shrimp, arranging shrimp lengthwise so that tail extends beyond wrapper. Fold the wrapper edge opposite the tail over shrimp. Brush far edge of wrapper with water and, starting with near edge, roll wrapper loosely around shrimp, forming a package. Press seam firmly to seal.
Preheat oven to 200°F and put a shallow rack in a baking pan. When oil reaches 375°F, fry wontons in several batches so as not to crowd them, flipping midway through cooking, until medium golden brown, 1½ to 2 minutes. Lift shrimp out with tongs, draining excess oil, and transfer to baking pan; keep warm in oven.
In a small bowl, whisk together ½ cup soy sauce, 1 tablespoon sesame oil, the orange and lemon juices, marmalade, green onion, and 2 teaspoons ginger. Serve wontons hot, with dipping sauce on the side.
You'll also love
- Mango-Strawberry Power-Up Smoothie... 4.4/5 (26 Votes)
- Zucchini Lasagna (No Pasta) 4.4/5 (26 Votes)
- Bacon Cheese Potatoes (Slow Cooked) 4.4/5 (26 Votes)
- Creamy Margarita Popsicles 4.4/5 (26 Votes)
- Texas Sticky Buns 4.4/5 (26 Votes)
- Bloomin' Onion 4.4/5 (26 Votes)
- Crowd Pleasing Scalloped Potatoes 4.4/5 (26 Votes)
- Buttered Lobster Roll 4.4/5 (26 Votes)