Pistachio-Crusted Tuna Steaks
Pistachio crust teams up with a savory mustard-dill sauce for an exceptional tuna dish. Choose “sushi grade” tuna steaks if you prefer a milder flavor. Make it a meal: Serve with brown rice and steamed broccolini.
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced shallot
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill, divided
- 1 teaspoon whole-grain mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 cup coarse dry breadcrumbs, preferably whole-wheat (see Note)
- 1/4 cup shelled pistachios
- 4 4-ounce tuna steaks, 1-1 1/4 inches thick
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
Adapted from eatingwell.com
Place shallot, bay leaf and wine in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce until the wine is almost evaporated, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, discard bay leaf and transfer to a small bowl. Add sour cream, lemon juice, 1 teaspoon dill, mustard and 1/4 teaspoon salt; stir to combine.
Put breadcrumbs, pistachios, the remaining 1 teaspoon dill and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a blender or food processor. Process until finely ground. Transfer to a shallow bowl. Dredge both sides of the tuna in the pistachio mixture.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the tuna and cook until browned, adjusting the heat as necessary to prevent burning, 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium-rare. Serve with the lemon-dill sauce.
Note: We like Ian's brand of coarse dry whole-wheat breadcrumbs, labeled “Panko breadcrumbs.” Find them in the natural-foods section of large supermarkets. Or, make your own breadcrumbs: Trim crusts from firm sandwich bread. Tear the bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. One slice makes about 1/3 cup. Spread the breadcrumbs on a baking sheet and bake at 250°F until dry and crispy, about 15 minutes.
You'll also love
- Roasted Tomato Soup 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Papaya (or Mango) Bread 3.8/5 (89 Votes)
- Roasted Shrimp Enchiladas with... 4.2/5 (21 Votes)
- Hot Pecan Crab Dip 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Baked Cod with Garlic Mayonnaise 3.9/5 (66 Votes)
- Skinny Baked Lemon Dill Mahi Mahi 4/5 (37 Votes)
- Crock Pot Tuna Casserole 4.3/5 (7 Votes)