Low Carb Blueberry Custard "Puddle Pie"
- 1 1/2 cup (168g) hazelnut flour
- 1/4 cup (56g) fresh whole butter, melted
- 1 tbsp (21g) honey
- 1 dash (g) salt
- Custard 'Puddle' Filling:
- 1 1/2 cups (357g) cream, heavy whipping
- 1/2 cup (100g) 'Swerve' or other sugar equivalent
- 1 dash (1g) salt
- 1 each (12g) vanilla bean, split lengthwise (or 2 tsp vanilla extract)
- 6 large (102g) egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cup (232.5g) fresh or frozen blueberries, unsweetened
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 35mins
Adapted from djfoodie.com
Pre-heat oven to 325 F.
Pour your hazelnut meal into a mixing bowl and add your honey (you can skip the honey, but it does help to hold the crust together), melted butter and a dash of salt. Mix the ingredients until the meal is well coated with the honey and butter. Grease a 9-inch pie pan.
Press the nut mixture into the pie pan. Use the back of a spoon (or a tamper, if you have one) to press the crusts firmly into the base and up the sides of the pan. Really get in there and push it in, firmly.
Bake the crusts for 12 minutes, or until golden brown (look closely), and aromatic. Remove and allow to begin cooling.
Place the cream in a medium sauce pan over low heat.
Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean. Add the bean and seeds to the cream and bring to a slow simmer.
Remove the cream from the heat and whisk the sugar and salt into the liquid, making sure they dissolve.
In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs well.
Very very slowly, whisk the hot cream mixture into the egg yolks. Whisk quickly, so as to incorporate the hot liquid evenly, without cooking or scrambling the eggs.
Once the liquid has been incorporated into the eggs, pour the cream-egg mixture back into the sauce pan and return to a low heat.
Stir consistently until the custard thickens and coats the back of a spoon with a thick coating. The temperature should be between 165 and 175. Whatever you do, do not boil this mixture.
Strain the custard and pour into the prepared pie pan.
Add your blueberries to the top of the pie.
Chill for about 4 to 6 hours or freeze for an ice cream-like consistency
Calories Fat Protein Carbs Fiber SA's Net Carbs
Per Serving: 405.03 38.3g 6.23g 23.85g 3g 12.5g 8.35g
You'll also love
- Paprika Shrimp & Green Bean Saute 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Turkey Chili 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- VELVEETA® Cheesy Broccoli Soup 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Banana Cream Pie 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Creamy Avocado and Arugula Pasta 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Cranberry and Apple Stuffed Pork... 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Caramelized Pineapple and Chicken... 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Pioneer Blueberry Buckle 4.5/5 (11 Votes)