- 225 g (8 oz) butter or margarine
- 225 g (8 oz) light soft brown sugar
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 225 g self raising wheatmeal flour
- 5 ml (1 tsp) baking powder
- 350 g (12 oz) carrots, peeled and coarsely grated
- finely grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) lemon juice
- 125 g (5 oz) walnut pieces, chopped
- 75 g (3 oz) full fat soft cheese
- 50 g (2oz) icing sugar
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 105mins
Grease and base-line a 20.5 cm (8 in) round cake in.
Cream the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs, a little at a time, beating well after each addition.
Fold in the flour with the baking powser. Stir in the carrots, lemon rind, 15 ml lemon juice and 100g (4 oz) walnuts. Spoon the mixture into the tin and level the surface.
Bake in the oven at 180C (350F) (Gas mark 4) for about 1 1/2 hours, until well risen and golden brown. Turn out and cool on a wire rack.
Make icing by beating together the cheese, icing sugar, and remining lemon juice and beat until soft and creamy. Spread over the top of the cake using a palette knife. Decorate with the reserved walnuts.