Sausage, Potato, and Fennel Chowder
Somewhere between a soup and a stew, this comforting winter dish becomes pleasantly thick from mashing the potatoes into the broth just before serving.
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 3/4 lb. sweet Italian sausage (about 4 links), casings removed
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and cut into large dice (about 2 cups)
- 1 medium red onion, cut into large dice
- 1 small fennel bulb, trimmed, cored, and cut into large dice (about 2 cups), plus 1 to 2 Tbs. chopped fennel fronds for garnish
- 3 Tbs. dry sherry
- 4 cups lower-salt chicken broth
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf
- 1/4 cup chopped oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained
- 2 Tbs. heavy cream
- 1 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Adapted from finecooking.com
Heat the oil in a 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook, stirring with a wooden spatula to break it up into small pieces, until it starts to brown, about 3 minutes. Stir in the potato, onion, and fennel and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion begins to soften, about 2 minutes. Add the sherry and stir, scraping the bottom of the pot to loosen any browned bits, about 30 seconds.
Stir in the chicken broth and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork, 10 to 12 minutes.
Add the parsley, sun-dried tomatoes, heavy cream, and lemon zest and stir until incorporated.
Using the spatula or a potato masher, gently crush the cooked potatoes until most of them are mashed and the stew is somewhat thickened. Season with 1 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Serve hot, garnished with the fennel fronds.
You'll also love
- Roasted Tomato Soup 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Papaya (or Mango) Bread 3.8/5 (102 Votes)
- Old Bay Green Beans 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Sausage and Stuffing Casserole 3.9/5 (14 Votes)
- Vegetable, bacon and parmigiana... 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- skillet potatoes with peppers... 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Smoked Salmon, Fennel and Goat... 4.4/5 (9 Votes)
- Baked Ziti in Mornay Sauce with... 4.4/5 (9 Votes)