Ground Beef Mummy Bread
Hearty sandwich that looks like mummies! This is a take on a pepper steak sandwich, but made with ground beef and the cheese melted to make it look like a mummy.
- 1 pound lean (at least 80%) ground beef
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cut into bite-size strips
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into bite-size strips
- 1 small onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1/2 cup creamy Italian dressing
- 1 loaf Italian bread (12 inches long), halved lengthwise
- 4 slices thinly sliced provolone cheese, quartered
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 20mins
Adapted from bettycrocker.com
Set oven control to broil.
In 12-inch nonstick skillet, cook beef, bell peppers and onion over medium-high heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently, until beef is thoroughly cooked; drain. Stir in 1/4 cup of the dressing.
Spread remaining 1/4 cup dressing on cut sides of bread. Place both halves, cut sides up, on ungreased large cookie sheet. Broil with tops 4 to 6 inches from heat 2 to 4 minutes or until lightly toasted. Remove bread from broiler. Spread beef mixture on cut halves of bread. Top with cheese.
Return to broiler; broil 4 to 6 inches from heat 2 to 3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Cut each half into 2 pieces.
You can use any meltable cheese for these sandwiches, such as American, mozzarella or Gouda.
Italian bread has a dense texture that works well for these hot broiled sandwiches
You'll also love
- Lemony Roasted Asparagus 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Ham & Cheese Gnocchi 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Bacon Cinnamon Rolls 4.1/5 (15 Votes)
- Maple Brown Sugar Pumpkin Roll 4.5/5 (20 Votes)
- Pork chops in mushroom gravy 4.5/5 (14 Votes)
- Hamburgers with Fresh Tomato and... 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Irish Beef Stew 4.5/5 (20 Votes)
- Halloween Spider Breads 4.5/5 (17 Votes)