Flank Steak and Carmelized Onions Quesadillas
- 2 lb beef flank steak (or skirt steak if
- Salt and pepper - to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil - divided
- 4 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 onion - sliced very thin
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 10 small flour tortillas
- Sour cream - for serving
- Salsa - for serving
1) Salt and pepper flank steak on both sides to taste. Place steak, 2 T of olive oil, and garlic in a large
ziploc bag. Massage oil and garlic into meat for about 3 minutes. Turn oven to high broil. Place meat in
a large baking dish. Place oven rack on highest notch. With oven door open, broil steak for 4 - 5
minutes on each side - depending on how well done you want it. When done, set aside and turn oven to
2) While meat is broiling, heat 1 T of olive oil in a medium size skillet. Keep fire on low to medium heat.
Once oil is heated, add onions and stir. Cook and stir for about 2 minutes and add brown sugar.
Continue cooking and stirring until onions are clear and look carmelized, about 3 - 4 more minutes.
Remove from heat when done.
3) Slice steak in thin strips across the grain. Cut slices into bite size pieces in the other direction.
4) Assemble quesadillas on a large baking sheet. Brush olive oil onto 1 side of flour tortilla and lay oiled
side on pan. Distribute steak, onions, and cheddar evenly over 5 brushed tortillas. Place remaining
tortillas over filling and brush the side that is up lightly with olive oil. Place in preheated oven and bake
for 3 - 4 minutes on each side. *Don't forget to move your rack back to the middle.*
5) Serve with salsa and sour cream.