Hot Chocolate Cupcakes & Peppermint Marshmallow Frosting
These cupcakes are adorable! Chocolate cupcakes with a peppermint marshmallow frosting are made to look like a cup of hot chocolate.
- 1/2 cup of butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream, I used light sour cream
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 tsp cream of tarter
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup Jet-Puffed peppermint mini marshmallows
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 35mins
Adapted from cherishedbliss.com
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Next, cream butter and sugar. Add cocoa powder, boiling water, and vanilla to the cream mixture and mix well. Then add eggs one at a time.
In a small mixing bowl, add all dry ingredients and combine well. Alternate dry ingredients and sour cream to the chocolate mixture.
Combine all ingredients, but don’t over mix. The batter will be thick.
Pour batter into cupcake holders and fill 1/2 of the way full. I use an ice cream scoop to measure out my batter and it works perfectly.
Cook for 25 minutes or until a tester comes out clean. Cool cupcakes completely before icing.
In a double broiler add 1½ inches of water. If you do not have a double broiler you can make one by nesting a medium size stainless still bowl over a medium size sauce pan.
In the top boiler add egg white, granulated sugar, cream of tarter, pinch of salt, and water.
Combine ingredients with a whisk and cook over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 135°F, or until the mixture is hot to the touch (about 5 minutes), whisk often.
Then pour mixture into a stand mixer and add marshmallows. With the whisk attachment mix on low and increase to high for about 5 minutes or until stiff, glossy peaks form.
If you do not have a stand mixer you can use a hand mixer, please note the mixing time will increase.
Now you are ready to ice your hot chocolate cupcakes. Garnish each cupcakes with a peppermint mini marshmallow and a festive paper straw (cut each straw in half).
You'll also love
- Brownie Butter Cake 4.4/5 (54 Votes)
- Holiday Snowball Cookies 4.4/5 (51 Votes)
- Chili's Best 4.4/5 (51 Votes)
- Pecan Coconut Praline Cookies 4/5 (80 Votes)
- Crusty Parmesan Herb Zucchini Bites 4.6/5 (35 Votes)
- Nonna's Italian Ricotta Cookies 4.4/5 (57 Votes)
- Apple-Spice Cupcakes with Maple... 4.4/5 (49 Votes)
- Peanut Butter Marshmallow Squares 4.5/5 (39 Votes)