Pumpkin Sticky Buns
These deep gold sticky buns are an autumn variation on a perennial favorite!
- 3 to 3 1/2 cups (12 3/4 to 14 7/8 ounces) King Arthur Perfect Pastry Blend
- 1 tablespoon King Arthur Easy-Roll Dough Improver
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons (1 3/8 ounces) sugar
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice (OR 1/2 teaspoon EACH cinnamon and ground ginger + 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups pumpkin (one 15-ounce can)
- 2 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1/4 cup (1 5/8 ounces) potato flour OR 1/2 cup potato flakes
- 3 tablespoons (1 1/2 ounces) butter
- 2 tablespoons Instant ClearJel(r)
- 1/4 cup (1 3/4 ounces) sugar
- 1/2 cup (2 1/8 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 cup (3 3/4 ounces) toasted pumpkin seeds or diced, toasted pecans
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick, 2 ounces) butter
- 1/2 cup (2 1/2 ounces) toasted pumpkin seeds or pecans
- 1 cup (7 1/2 ounces) brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons (4 1/8 ounces) light corn syrup
Adapted from kingarthurflour.com
To make the dough: Combine all of the dough ingredients and mix and knead them together -- by hand, mixer or bread machine -- till you've made a soft, smooth dough. Add a bit of water if the dough seems too dry. Allow the dough to rise, covered, for 1 hour, or until it's puffy (though not necessarily doubled in bulk).
To assemble: Deflate the dough, then roll it on a floured surface into a 12" x 16" rectangle. Combine the filling ingredients, and spread them onto the dough. Starting with a long edge, roll the dough into a log, pinch the edge to seal it, and slice it into sixteen 1" pieces.
To make the glaze: Melt the butter and pour it into two 9" round pans. Sprinkle the toasted pumpkin seeds or pecans and the sugar over the butter, then drizzle on the corn syrup. Place the buns in the pan, cover, and allow them to rise for 1 hour, or until puffy.
Bake the buns in a preheated 350°F oven for 25 minutes, or until they're golden brown and you see the glaze bubbling.
Remove the buns from the oven, and immediately turn them out of the pan(s) onto a serving plate to cool. Yield: 16 buns.