Baked eggplant is an easy winner when it's rolled around a delicate blend of cheeses and topped with sauce. A side of multigrain spaghetti makes the meal complete.
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 cup fat-free ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 teas. Freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups marinara sauce
- 1 oz. (1/4 cup) shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- 4 oz. multi-grain thin spaghetti
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 60mins
1. Pre-heat the broiler. Coat a large baking sheet with olive oil cooking spray. Coat a 9x9 baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Peel the eggplant, if desired. Cut lengthwise into 1/4" thick slices. Place on the prepared baking sheet and coat with cooking spray. Broil 6"from heat for 10 minutes or until softened and lightly browned, turning once. Reduce the oven to 350 degrees.
3. Combine the ricotta, Parmesan, basil, and pepper in a medium bowl. Device evenly between eggplant, spooning onto 1 end of each slice. Roll the slices around the filling starting from the short side. Arrange seam sides down in the prepared baking dish. Spoon 2 cups of the marinara sauce over the eggplant rolls and sprinkle with the mozzarella.
4. Cover and bake for 25 minutes or until heated through.
5. Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti per the package directions. Drain. Heat the remaining 2 cups of marinara sauce in the same pot. Divide the pasta onto 4 plates and top each with 1/2 cup of the sauce. Serve the rollatini alongside.