Spicy Stir-Fry Chicken And Asparagus
- 1 pound boneless chicken breast
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Coarse salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 cup chicken stock (preferably homemade)
- 6 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 3/4 pound asparagus, sliced on the bias in 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon chili paste
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves
Cut the chicken in one-inch cubes. Beat the egg white lightly and mix it with half the cornstarch and salt to form a smooth paste. Set aside.
In another bowl, mix the rice wine, soy sauce, stock and remaining cornstarch to form a smooth paste.
Toss the chicken into the egg white-cornstarch mixture. Heat the oil in a wok or large skillet. Fry the chicken cubes until golden and remove with a slotted spoon. Drain on paper towels. Pour off the oil, leaving about one tablespoon in the wok.
Add the garlic, ginger and scallions and stir-fry for one minute. Add the asparagus and stir-fry for two minutes, or until bright green. Add the chicken and chili paste and mix thoroughly. Add the rice wine mixture and stir well. Just before removing from heat, stir in the sesame oil. Sprinkle with coriander and serve.