Chicken and Gnocchi
- 1 cup soft, fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 fresh sage sprig (optional)
- Kitchen string
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 Parmesan cheese rind (optional)
- 4 cups shredded cooked chicken
Adapted from myrecipes.com
1. Prepare Gnocchi: Stir together first 8 ingredients in a large bowl until smooth. Very gently fold in flour just until blended.
2. Spoon dough into a zip-top plastic freezer bag. Snip 1 corner of bag to make a 1/2-inch hole. Squeeze 10 to 12 (1-inch) dough pieces into a pot of boiling salted water; cook 2 to 3 minutes or until gnocchi float. Lightly grease a jelly-roll pan with cooking spray. Transfer gnocchi to prepared pan, using a slotted spoon. Cover with plastic wrap. Repeat procedure with remaining dough.
3. Prepare Chicken: Tie together thyme and, if desired, sage sprigs with kitchen string. Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add carrots, celery, and herb bundle; cook 5 minutes or until carrots are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Stir in wine, and cook 2 minutes or until reduced by half. Sprinkle with flour, and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Gradually whisk in broth. Add Parmesan rind, if desired.
4. Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, partially covered, 20 minutes or until slightly thickened. Discard herb bundle and cheese rind. Stir in chicken and gnocchi, and cook 3 to 5 minutes or until hot.