Lemonade Biscuits (Scones)
The easiest and simplest scone recipe in Australia uses lemonade (lemon flavoured soda pop), cream and flour (and optional dried fruit)
- 3 cups of S.R. Flour (S.R.=self rising)
- OR 3cups AP Flour + 2 1/2tsp baking powder
- 1 cup of cream
- 1 cup of Lemonade (lemon flavoured soda pop)still fizzy
- 1/3 cup of dried fruit (optional)
- 1/3 cup sugar (optional) add if you like sweet scones or are not serving with berry jam (jelly) and cream
- Clotted cream and berry jam to serve
Adapted from audaxartifex.blogspot.com
Mix flour, cream, lemonade, and optional fruit and sugar. Mixture will be soft. Scrape onto a floured surface. Knead lightly and shape and pat down, do not roll, into a rectangle about 3 cm high. Cut out with a 5cm scone cutter, makes 12 scones.
Brush tops with milk or egg wash
Place on tray and put into a hot oven 220C (450F) for about 10mins until tops are golden. Serve with berry jam(jelly) and clotted cream. You can used whipped heavy cream in place of clotted cream if not available.
You can use coca cola, pepsi or other flavoured soda pops. My favourite is lime soda pop. Also you can add flavourings to the cream such as instant coffee or citrus zests if you wish.