Roasted Cauliflower, Tomato and Goat Cheese Casserole
- 1 medium-size head of cauliflower
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 (14.5 oz / 411 gr) can diced tomatoes (I used Muir Glen Organic Tomato)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- A pinch red pepper flakes
- A pinch of ground cinnamon
- 2 large free-range organic eggs (or 3 medium)
- 3/4 cup / 3 oz / 85 gr goat cheese, crumbled (Trader Joe’s sells crumbled goat cheese)
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C) and place a rack in the middle. Line a baking sheet with foil and set aside.
Cut away the bottom of the cauliflower stem and trim off the leaves.
Cut cauliflower into ⅓-inch thick slices, some florets on the edges will fall off, that’s okay.
Toss all of it with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, salt and pepper.
Spread in an even layer onto a the prepared baking sheet.
Roast in the oven for 20 minutes, flipping the biggest slices after 10 minutes, until cauliflower is nicely browned. Remove from oven and transfer to a large bowl (you might to chop some of the biggest slices).
In the meantime, heat remaining one tablespoon of olive oil in a large over medium heat. Add onions, a generous pinch of salt and saute for 5 minutes until softened,
Add garlic and thyme and cook for further 30 seconds until garlic is fragrant, about a minute.
Add tomatoes, coriander, red pepper flakes and cinnamon, salt and pepper and bring to a simmer.
Cover with a lid and cook over low heat for 15 minutes, until the sauce is fragrant.
Add to bowl with the cauliflower and stir everything together.
Rub a medium-large baking dish with a bit of olive oil and scrape cauliflower mixture into it.
In a small bowl beat eggs, then add goat cheese and beat together well.
Pour over cauliflower mixture.
Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, until top is beginning to brown.
Remove from the oven and allow to sit for 5 to 10 minutes, sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve.