Molasses Cookies - (Silver Palate)
This cookie was one of the Silver Palate store's most popular. They are soft, chewy and spicy and stay moist, in an airtight tin, for at least one week.
- 12 Tbsp sweet butter (1 1/2 sticks)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 1 3/4 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Melt butter, add sugar and molasses, and mix thoroughly. Lightly beat egg and add to butter mixture; blend well.
3. sift flour with spices, salt and baking soda and add to first mixture; mix. Batter will be wet.
4. Lay a sheet of foil on a cookie sheet. Drop tablespoons of cookie batter on foil, leaving 3 inches between the cookies. These will spread during the baking.
5. Bake until cookies start to darken, 8-10 minutes. Remove from oven while still soft. Let cool on foil.
makes 24 large flat cookies