Italian Restaurant Chicken Recipe
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 pounds), cut up and skin removed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup finely chopped carrot
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 75mins
Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. In an ovenproof Dutch oven, brown chicken in oil in batches. Remove and keep warm.
In the same pan, saute the onion, celery, carrot and garlic in pan drippings until tender. Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Stir in the tomatoes, bay leaf, rosemary and chicken; bring to a boil.
Cover and bake at 325° for 50-60 minutes or until chicken is tender. Discard bay leaf; sprinkle with basil. Yield: 6 servings.