Loaded Vegetable Soup
- 2 - 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 large carrots, sliced
- 1/2 bunch of celery with leaves, chopped
- 2 medium sized onions, chopped
- 4 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 large green pepper
- 1 large red pepper
- 1 small head of broccoli, chopped
- 4 large vine ripened tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (15 oz.) can Muir Glen Organic Fire Roasted Petite Diced Tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz.) can corn, drained
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen peas
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen fine green beans, cut into bite sized pieces
- 3 potatoes, scrubbed and diced with skin on
- 10 cups of water
- 3 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 3 large bay leaves
- 1/4 cup dried basil (I know that seems like a lot, but it adds so much wonderful flavor to the soup)
- 1 Tbsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
Coat your Dutch Oven or stock pot with olive oil and warm on medium heat.
Start with the carrots and saute your vegetables.
I chop as I go, adding in one vegetable at a time until they are all sauteed while stirring.
After all the vegetables are added, slowly add the water, tomato paste, bay leaves, basil, salt, black pepper and crushed red pepper.
Stir, cover and turn heat to low-medium.
Let simmer on your stove top for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
Turn off the heat.
Season with more with salt and pepper if you wish.
Serve hot with fresh bread or rolls.
Serves 8 generously.
Tastes even better the next day!
*To Freeze, cool to room temperature and store in plastic freezer friendly bags or a freezer friendly container.