Apple Pie Pops
From BH&G, Sept 2010.
- 2 large apples, peeled, cored and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Dash salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 15 ounce package rolled refrigerated unbaked piecrust (2 crusts)
- 10 paper or wooden lollipop sticks
- 1 egg, separated
- 2 teaspoons water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice
Adapted from bhg.com
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
2. In a medium skillet, cook apples, the 1/4 cup sugar, the 1 tsp. apple pie spice, the lemon juice, and salt over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes or until apples are nearly tender, stirring occasionally. In a small bowl combine cornstarch and 2 Tbsp. water until smooth. Add to apple mixture; cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened and well combined. Mixture will thicken quickly.
3. Unroll pie crusts. On a lightly floured surface, roll each crust to a 12-inch circle. Using a 3-inch round or leaf cutter, make 10 cutouts in each circle of dough.
4. Arrange 10 of the cutouts on the prepared baking sheet. Press a lollipop stick firmly into the center of each dough cutout. Spoon a scant tablespoon of filling in the center of each cutout. You will have leftover filling.
5. In a small bowl whisk the egg white and 1 tsp. water until frothy. Use a pastry brush or your fingers to brush mixture around the edge of each dough shape. Place a second cutout of dough on top of the filling. Use a fork to seal the edges, taking care that dough is sealed around lollipop stick.
6. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg yolk and remaining 1 tsp. water. Brush atop pie pops. In a small bowl, combine 2 Tbsp. sugar and remaining 1/2 tsp. apple pie spice. Sprinkle over pops.
7. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden. Cool on the baking sheet. makes 10 pops.