Punch Bowl Cake (Grandma's Recipe)
- 1 yellow cake mix & all the ingredients to make the cake according to package directions
- 1 20 oz. crushed pineapple (drain slightly)
- 1 5 oz pkg instant vanilla pudding (or 3 cups homemade custard)
- 1 21 oz. can strawberry pie filling, cherry pie filling, or fresh strawberries
- 1 16 pkg frozen whipped topping, thawed or homemade whipped cream
Prepare cake mix as directed by package directions. Bake in a 9 x 13 inch pan or 2 8-inch round pans. Cool the cake; set aside.
Prepare vanilla pudding according to pkg directions; set aside (if making home-made custard, let it cool completely.
Crumble the cake in large chunks into the bottom of the punch bowl.
Spoon the pineapple over the cake. Pour the pudding over the pineapple; spoon the strawberry pie filling over the pudding; then top with the whipped topping.
Place in the refrigerator for 2 hours or overnight. Serve cold.