Pizza Swirl Bread
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 ounces provolone cheese, freshly grated
- 4 ounces grated parmesan cheese
- 20-30 slices pepperoni, or however much you would like
- 1/3 cup tomato sauce, or more if desired
- 1 tablespoons italian seasoning
1. In a small saucepan, combine milk and 2 tablespoons butter over low heat. Heat until bubbles appear on the sides then turn off heat and set aside.
2. Measure out 1/4 cup of warm water and combine it with yeast and sugar. Let sit for 5-10 minutes, until foamy. Optional: while yeast is is dissolving, stick pepperoni in the microwave on a paper towel lined plate for 30-40 seconds to remove a bit of grease. Lightly butter an 81/2 x 4 x 2 loaf pan.
3. Gently whisk the egg with the milk/butter mixture. In the bowl of an electric mixer (using dough hook attachment), combined flour and salt and lightly mix to combine. With the mixer on low speed, add in milk/butter mixture, then yeast mixture. Mix on medium speed until dough comes together, about 5-6 minutes. Remove dough from bowl and lightly flour your workspace, then knead by hand for a minute or two. Add a few more teaspoons of flour if dough is sticky until it becomes smooth.
4. Melt the two tablespoons of butter. Brush one tablespoon all over a bowl, then place dough in bowl and coat with butter. Cover the bowl and set in a warm place to double in size for about one hour.
5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
6. After dough has risen, punch out the air bubbles, flour your workspace again, and roll into an 8 x 12 inch rectangle. Spread tomato sauce on first, then minced garlic, then provolone, then pepperoni, then parmesan, then italian seasoning. Starting at one of the short ends, tightly roll dough into a loaf. Place in loaf pan and brush with remaining melted butter, and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
7. Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until top is golden brown. Let cool for 30 minutes, then remove from pan.