Chinese - Chinese Chicken And Cashew Stir Fry
- 1 bunch scallion - just use the white ends and save the greens for something else
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 red and 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup whole roasted cashews
Adapted from grandmotherskitchen.org
Chop scallions, separating white and green parts.
Pat chicken dry, then cut into 3/4-inch pieces and toss with salt and pepper.
Heat a wok or 12-inch heavy skillet (not nonstick) over moderately high heat until a drop of water evaporates immediately.
Add oil, swirling to coat, then stir-fry chicken until golden in places and just cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes.
Transfer to a plate with a slotted spoon. Add bell peppers, garlic, ginger, red-pepper flakes, and scallion whites to wok and stir-fry until peppers are just tender, 5 to 6 minutes.
Stir together broth, soy sauce, cornstarch, and sugar, then stir into vegetables in wok.
Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 1 to 2 minutes.
Stir in cashews, scallion greens, and chicken along with any juices accumulated on plate