Cream of Asparagus Soup
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1.5 c coarsely chopped shallots (about 6 large)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 lbs asparague, cut in 1 inch pieces
- Coarse salt
- 1/3 c heavy cream
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1) In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the shallots and thyme; cook until the shallots are soft, about 5 minutes. Add the flour; cook until incorporated, stirring constantly, about 1 minute.
2) Add the asparagus and 6 cups of water; season generously with salt. Cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer, until the asparagus is bright grean and just tender, 2-4 minutes.
3) Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender until very smooth. To prevent splattering, fill the blender only halfway, and allow heat to escape. Remove the cap from the hole of the lid and cover the lid with a dish towel. If serving right away, stir in the cream and lemon juice.