Thai Beef Salad
- 8 -10 ounces New York strip steaks (about 1 1/2 in thick)
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup shallot, sliced thin
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro stems, and leaves
- 1/4 cup mint leaf (loosely packed to measure and then, chopped)
- 1 medium cucumber, seeded and sliced
- 4 -6 romaine lettuce leaves, for serving
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 Thai chiles, minced (more or less depending on the heat desired)
- 2 tablespoons very thinly sliced lemongrass, crush slices with the back of knife after slicing
- 1 1/2 teaspoons palm sugar or 1 1/2 teaspoons light brown sugar, can be substituted
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce (nam pla)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 25mins
Adapted from food.com
1 Start making the dressing by crushing the minced garlic and bird chili peppers together against the cutting board with the flat side of your knife to make a paste.
2 Put this paste in a small bowl and add lemongrass, fish sauce, lime juice, and sugar.
3 Whisk together to combine and set aside.
4 To cook the steak, heat oil in a skillet over medium high heat.
5 Sear the steak on one side and continue to cook 5-6 minutes.
6 Turn over steak and cook for another 5 minutes or until medium rare or medium.
7 Remove from heat and let stand on cutting board for 5 minutes.
8 After meat has rested, slice steak very thinly.
9 In a large bowl, add beef (and any juices left on cutting board), mint, shallots, cilantro and cucumber.
10 Pour the dressing on top and toss gently.
11 Line a serving platter with romaine leaves and pile beef salad on top.
12 Serve with rice if desired.