Louise's Chicken Divan
Great for company, pot luck.
- 2 (10-ounce) packages frozen broccoli florets
- 2 cups warm milk
- 6 lightly browned chicken breasts cut in half long ways (they do not need to be completely cooked, they will finish in the oven.
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 2 cups grated sharp Cheddar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup of grated sharp cheddar for topping.
- (1) Can use frozen broccoli florets or fresh broccoli.
- (2) Can use one or two rotisserie chickens.
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 50mins
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Place chicken breast, cut lengthwise, in oiled frying pan, lightly salting on both sides. Lightly brown on both sides. In a medium sauce pan add flower and butter, stirring constantly for one minute to cook flour creating a rue. On medium heat, add warm milk and stir until thickened (do not let come to a boil). Add cream of chicken soup, salt, pepper, the two cups of sharp cheddar cheese, lemon juice, and wine. Stir on low (do not let boil) until cheese melts. Place chicken in a greased 9 X 13 baking pan, Top with broccoli and then with cheese sauce mixture.
Pat down evenly and smooth with a spatula.
Put the final 1/2 cup cheddar cheese on the casserole the last 15 minutes of bakeing.
Bake for about 45 minutes.