Hearty Barley-Lentil Soup with Potatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup dry lentils
- 1/3 cup dry barley (may substitute with brown rice or other grain of choice)
- 2 medium white potatoes OR 1 large sweet potato, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 2 cups)
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 7 cups low-sodium vegetable broth/water
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1/2 Tbsp paprika
- 1/2 Tbsp fenugreek (optional)
- 1/2 Tbsp turmeric (optional)
- Salt, pepper to taste
Adapted from onegreenplanet.org
1. Add 2 Tbsp of water/broth to a heated large heavy-bottomed soup pot. When the liquid starts bubbling, add chopped onion, celery, and carrot along with minced garlic. Cook on medium heat for 5 min, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are soft. Add more liquid if necessary to prevent the mixture sticking to the pot.
2. In a separate pot, bring your broth or water to a boil, set aside.
3. Add the rest of the ingredients (including spices, except for salt and pepper) to the soup pot, stir. Add boiling water/broth. Bring to a boil again, reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and cook for 20-25 min, until potatoes are soft and lentils and barley are cooked through. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4. When done, take the soup pot off the heat, let stand 10-15 min to cool off. Serve with a garnish of chopped scallions or other greens. Enjoy!