Triple Chocolate Cupcakes
Triple chocolate flavor in these chocolate sour cream cupcakes, filled with ganache and frosted with chocolate frosting. Yum.
- CHOCOLATE SOUR CREAM CUPCAKES:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup whipping cream, steaming hot
- CHOCOLATE FROSTING:
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pound confectioners sugar
- 1 oz. semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 35mins
Adapted from kitchensimplicity.com
CHOCOLATE SOUR CREAM CUPCAKES:
Sift flour, sugars, baking soda and salt through a fine-mesh sieve. Set aside.
Place chocolate, butter and cocoa into a large bowl. Pour boiling water over. Let sit for 2 minutes. Stir until smooth. Whisk in vanilla, sour cream, buttermilk and eggs until well combined. Add dry ingredients, whisking until smooth.
Spoon ¼ cup batter into regular-sized muffin tins prepared with cupcake liners (about 15). Bake at 350ºF for 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Let cool 5 minutes before removing to cool on a wire rack. Cool completely before frosting.
Place chocolate in a bowl. Pour cream over chocolate and let sit for 2 minutes. Stir until smooth. Let cool to room temperature.
Place butter, cream and salt in the bowl of a mixer. Sift cocoa through a fine-mesh sieve set over the mixing bowl. Mix on medium-speed until creamy. Add vanilla. Sift confectioners sugar into mixing bowl through a fine-mesh sieve. Beat on low to combine; turn speed to medium and beat for 6 minutes until creamy and fluffy. Icing will be quite stiff.
Cut out a small cone in the centre of each cupcake. Discard scraps. Spoon ganache into each cupcake and spread a small amount over the top to smooth it out. Pipe on frosting in desired fashion (I used an Ateco 808 tip). Drizzle with remaining ganache, heating up if necessary. Garnish with chopped chocolate.
You'll also love
- Pecan Praline Cookies with Brown... 4/5 (73 Votes)
- Chocolate-Peanut Butter Ice Cream... 4.5/5 (28 Votes)
- Triple Chocolate Ice Cream Pie 4.5/5 (26 Votes)
- Panda Chocolate Cupcakes... 4.3/5 (28 Votes)
- Triple Chocolate Banana Bread 4.4/5 (21 Votes)
- Easter Cupcakes 4.5/5 (25 Votes)
- Chocolate Raspberry Cupcakes 4.3/5 (29 Votes)
- Peanut Butter-Chocolate Cupcakes 4.4/5 (26 Votes)