Carne de Puerco con Calabacitas y Elote (Pork Sirloin With Zucchini & Corn)
Craving Mexican but tired of tacos? This Pork Sirloin with Zucchini and Corn is a perfect dinner with a side of beans and some warm tortillas.
- 1 pound boneless pork sirloin, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons of manteca (lard) or canola oil
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 green bell pepper, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 1 cup corn
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced into half-moon shapes
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 Roma or plum tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, sliced
Adapted from hispanickitchen.com
Preheat a large skillet to medium heat for a few minutes. Add the pork and season with salt, pepper and cumin. Add the water, spread out evenly, cover and cook until all the water has evaporated. Once water has evaporated, uncover, add the oil or lard and brown the pork (with the lid off) until almost crispy on most sides.
Add the peppers and onions and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Season lightly with salt and pepper as you add your layers, just a pinch.
Blend the tomatoes with the garlic, adding a little bit of water if needed to get a smooth consistency. Set aside.
Add the zucchini, corn and cilantro and cook just until zucchini becomes slightly tender. Add the tomato mixture; stir well to combine. Cook at a low/medium temperature for another 10 minutes, taste for salt.
Serve with your favorite rice, beans, salsa and warm tortillas. Yields up to 5 servings.
Notes: If you want to, you can add a little fresh serrano pepper to the tomato mixture before you blend it. It adds a hint of spice, but is not spicy.
You'll also love
- Champagne Punch with Raspberry &... 4.1/5 (14 Votes)
- Olallieberry Crisp (or any kind of... 3.9/5 (20 Votes)
- Critchell House Prime Rib Soup 4/5 (19 Votes)
- Hearty Chicken Pumpkin Soup 4.1/5 (16 Votes)
- Moosewood Black Bean-Sweet Potato... 3.6/5 (24 Votes)
- Slow-Cooker Chicago-Style Italian... 4/5 (22 Votes)
- Gooey Pork Chops 4.5/5 (23 Votes)
- Spaghetti Squash - Microwave Method 4.3/5 (4 Votes)