IRISH OATMEAL LEEK SOUP
A classic Irish soup traditionally served during Lent.
- 1 T. light butter
- 1 1/2 cups leeks,93 large) white and pale green only, halved lengthwise, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup Irish steel cut oats
- 4 cups fat-free reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free milk
- fresh cracked pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives for garnish
Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over low heat; add the leeks. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the leeks are soft, about 15 minutes.
Add the broth and milk; raise heat to high and bring to a boil.
Add the oatmeal and fresh cracked black pepper to taste. Return to a boil, stirring occasionally; reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer until oats are tender, 45-50 minutes(less if using Quaker oats).