Fusilli Carbonara with Frisee and Lemon
Egg and cheese combine to form a simple yet rich sauce for Pasta
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 3 oz. Parmesan cheese, finely grated (1 1/2 cups)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 oz. thick-cut bacon (about 3 slices), cut into 1/2" pieces
- 1 lb. fusilli
- 2 tsps. fresh lemon zest, plus 3 tablespoons juice (from 1 large lemon)
- 4 oz. frisee or escarole, cut into 3" pieces
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 30mins
1. Whisk together eggs and cheese in a large bowl until combined, and season with salt and pepper. Cook bacon in a medium skillet over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate to drain.
2. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook until al dente. Reserve 1 cup pasta water, and then drain pasta. Transfer pasta to bowl with egg mixture, tossing to combine. Add lemon zest, juice and frisee and toss to combine, adding enough pasta water to form a smooth sauce that coats pasta. Season to taste with salt and pepper and top with bacon. Serve immediately.
Serves 4 to 6.