Char Kuey Teow - Stir-Fried Rice Noodles
Shrimp, Chinese sausage, chiles, and chives bring intense flavor to these wok-fried noodles, a popular Malay street food. This recipe first appeared in our October 2011 issue along with Jayanthi Daniel's article Hungry City.
- 1 tablespoon dried shrimp paste
- 3 dried chiles de árbol, stemmed, torn into pieces, and soaked in boiling water for 5 minutes, drained
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 12 medium shrimp, peeled, deveined, and tails removed
- 1 (6-inch) dried Chinese link sausage, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 (10--ounce) package fresh broad Chinese rice noodles, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon double black soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 egg
- 4 ounces mung bean sprouts
- 6 Chinese chives or scallions, cut into 2-inch lengths
Preparation time 5mins
Cooking time 20mins
Adapted from saveur.com
Place shrimp paste on a small piece of foil, and wrap around paste to form a packet; heat broiler to high and broil packet until fragrant, about 8 minutes. Let paste cool slightly, then transfer to a cutting board and add drained chiles; using a chef knife, cut and mash paste and chiles together until a smooth paste forms; set paste aside.
Heat oil in a 12-inch wok or nonstick skillet over high heat. Add paste, and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add garlic, and cook, stirring, until just golden, about 30 seconds. Add shrimp and sausage, and cook, flipping shrimp once, until barely pink, about 1 minute. Break noodles apart with your fingers and add to wok along with soy sauce and sugar; cook, stirring often, until noodles are evenly coated and heated through, about 1 minute.
Make a well in the center of the noodles; add egg, and cook, without stirring, until the white is half-set, about 45 seconds. Add sprouts and chives, and stir noodles and egg until evenly incorporated and sprouts and chives begin to wilt, about 1 minute. Serve immediately.
You'll also love
- Chocolate Raspberry Sandwich... 4.8/5 (5 Votes)
- Tortilla Soup with Chorizo &... 4.8/5 (5 Votes)
- Honey Bourbon Butternut Squash Soup 4.8/5 (5 Votes)
- Linguine with Butternut Squash,... 4.8/5 (5 Votes)
- Shrimp Scampi Ravioli with Lemon... 4.8/5 (5 Votes)
- Chicken & Noodle Delight 4.8/5 (5 Votes)
- Rib-Eye alla Fiorentina, with... 4.8/5 (5 Votes)
- Chickpea Chicken-Noodle Soup 4.8/5 (5 Votes)