WW - Weeknight Skillet Chicken and Rice
WW Plus -10 pts.
- 1 pound skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1 1/2 inch chunks
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1/2 lb. cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 (6 oz) box long grain and wild rice mix
- 2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 45mins
1. Sprinkle chicken with salt and black pepper. Heat 1 tsp. of oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until browned on all sides, 6 minutes, transfer to plate.
2. Reduce heat to medium and add remaining 1 tsp. of oil to skillet. Add mushrooms, onion, bell pepper, celery, carrots, and garlic; cook, stirring, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in wine and cook until its is evaporated, about 4 minutes.
3. Add rice mix to skillet, stirring until grains are coated. Return chicken to skillet along with broth, tomatoes, and thyme; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until broth is absorbed, rice is tender, and chicken is cooked through, about 25 minutes. Removed skillet from heat; let stand 5 minutes before serving.