Candy Apple Pie
Remember candy apples from when you were a kid? You know, you got them at carnivals and at the circus. If you'd like to bring back that same special taste without all the sticky mess, here's a pie that'll do it for you. (Everybody will wink at the taste, too.)
- 1 3/4 cups unsweetened apple juice, divided
- 1/3 cup cinnamon candies (about 15 candy disks)
- 1/4 teaspoon red food color
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tart cooking apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 prepared 9-inch graham cracker pie crust
- 1 1/2 cups frozen whipped topping, thawed(1 8-ounce container equals 3-1/2 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
In a large saucepan, combine 1-1/2 cups apple juice, candies, food color, vanilla extract, and apples. Bring to a boil, then simmer just until the apples are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
Combine the remaining 1/4 cup juice and cornstarch. Stir into the apple mixture and continue to cook until thickened, about 2 minutes, then cook for another 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat; cool to room temperature.