- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup half-n-half (or milk)
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup Fontina cheese, cubed
- 1 tablespoon sherry (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 pound crabmeat, preferably Maryland backfin
- 1 pound macaroni, or pasta of choice
- 3 slices prosciutto
- 3 tablespoons panko bread crumbs
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
Adapted from food52.com
Preheat your oven to 350°F.
To make the béchamel: melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan and when melted, sweat the shallots. Stir in the flour and gently heat, stirring continuously until the paste cooks and bubbles, 1-2 minutes. Add the half-and-half and stir for 2-3 more minutes.
To béchamel add fontina cheese, nutmeg, sherry, salt and pepper. Add chicken stock. Sauce should be velvety smooth.
Prepare pasta to al dente. Stir sauce into cooked pasta, and add crabmeat. Sprinkle with finely sliced prosciutto, top with panko bread crumbs and heat in oven until bubbling and top is golden brown.