Pumpkin Spice Muffins
- Cooking Spray
- 1 1/2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 Tablespoons Ground Flaxseed
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Cinnamon
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cloves
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Allspice
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Canola Oil
- 1/2 Cup Unsweetened Applesauce
- 1/2 Cup (4) Egg Whites or Egg Substitute
- 1 Cup Canned Pumpkin Puree
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 40mins
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Use cooking spray to lightly coat the 12 wells of a standard muffin tin. As an alternative, use silicone muffin molds, which do not need to be greased.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, flaxseed, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, allspice, ginger and salt.
3. In a second large bowl, blend together sugar, canola oil, applesauce, egg whites,pumpkin, and vanilla, Add to dry ingredients and stir until uniformly moistened.
4. Divide batter between 12 muffin wells and bake for 5 minutes, or until tops spring back when lightly touched.
Wrap leftover muffins in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for up to one week or freeze for up to 6 months.
Per muffin: 145 calories, 3g fat, 27g total carbohydrate, 3g dietary fiber, 4g protein.