CALZONE CON SALSA BLANCA
- Pizza dough*
- 1 cup (8-ounce can) CONTADINA Pizza Sauce
- 1/2 pound cooked, drained, crumbled Italian sausage or 3 ounces sliced pepperoni
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper Salsa Blanca
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 teaspoons flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil (or 3/4 teaspoon dry)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 small can undiluted CARNATION Evaporated Milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Preparation time: 34 minutes
Baking time: 25 minutes
Makes 4 to 6 servings
Roll dough out to 13-inch circle on large, lightly floured baking sheet. Spread pizza sauce on half of dough leaving ½-inch border around edge. Top with sausage or pepperoni, cheese, and green pepper. Fold uncoated half over filling. Fold edge over half inch and crimp. Cut about 4 small slits in top. Bake in moderate oven (350°F.) 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into wedges to serve. Top with Salsa Blanca.
* Prepare dough for 1 pizza of medium thickness from your favorite recipe or use frozen dough or a packaged mix.
Melt butter in small saucepan. Stir in flour, basil and salt. Gradually Evaporated Milk and water. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture just comes to a boil and thickens. Remove from heat. Parmesan cheese; stir until melted.