Zucchini with Cheese Nut Stuffing
Zucchini boats are stuffed with a vegetable and rice stuffing, topped with shredded cheese and baked. Add a touch of curry powder, if you'd like. This is a perfect veggie and rice side dish for any occasion.
- 1 (12-inch) long zucchini, about 3 inch in diameter. If smaller zucchini are used, there may be leftover filling because cavities will not be as deep.
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- 2 cups chopped mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 cup grated swiss cheese
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon curry - optional
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 60mins
Preheat oven to 325°F.
Parboil zucchini in a large pot of water to cover until soft but not mushy, about 8-10 minutes. Drain, halve lenghtwise and let cool. Scoop out interior, leaving 1/4 inch shell. Retain 1 cup pulp.
Saute onions and mushrooms in oil 4-5 minutes. Drain off any liquid and transfer to mixture to bowl.
Blend in zucchini pulp, 1 cup cheese, rice, nuts and eggs, Add curry, salt and pepper to taste. Heap in zucchini shells and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Place in a baking dish with a little water and cover with foil. Bake 20-30 minutes or until stuffing is set.