Side Dish - Turnips au Gratin
I mix carrots, parsnips and turnips.
I also like to put a little curry powder with the 1 Tbsp butter and bread crumb topping.
- 2 pounds turnips, peeled and cubed (about 6 cups)
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup shredded American cheese (2 oz)
- 1 1/2 cups soft, dry bread crumbs (about 2 slices)
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
1. In a saucepan cook cubed turnips in boiling water for 6-8 minutes or until nearly tender. Drain well in a colander. In same saucepan, melt the 3 tablespoon butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper. Add milk all at once. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat; add the shredded cheese, stirring until melted. Stir in the cooked turnips. Transfer to a 2-quart square baking dish..
2. Combine bread crumbs and the 2 tablespoons melted butter. Sprinkle over the turnip mixture. Bake in a 375 degree oven about 20 minutes or until crumbs are golden brown.