Slow-Cooker Chicken Chow Mein
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 1 1/2 lb)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 medium carrots, sliced diagonally (1 cup)
- 2 medium stalks celery, coarsely chopped (1 cup)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 can (8 oz) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 cup Progresso® chicken broth (from 32-oz carton)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped gingerroot
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms (3 oz)
- 1 cup snow (Chinese) pea pods
- Chow mein noodles, if desired
Cooking time 375mins
Adapted from Pillsbury.com
Remove fat from chicken. Cut chicken into 1-inch pieces. In 10-inch skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook chicken in oil about 5 minutes, turning once, until brown.
In 3 1/2- to 6-quart slow cooker, place carrots, celery, onion, garlic and water chestnuts. Add chicken. In small bowl, mix broth, soy sauce and gingerroot; pour over chicken.
Cover and cook on Low heat setting 6 to 8 hours.
In small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into chicken mixture. Stir in mushrooms and pea pods. Increase heat setting to High. Cover and cook 15 minutes. Serve over noodles