Peanut Butter and Banana French Toast
- 8 slices soft white bread
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat creamy or crunchy peanut butter
- 1 small banana very thinly sliced
- 4 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat milk
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Pancake syrup or honey. For serving.
1. Arrange the bread on your work surface. Spread one tablespoon peanut butter on each of the 4 slices. Top with banana slices. Cover with a second slice of bread.
2. Using the tines of the fork, press down around the outside of the bread to seal the 2 pieces together, enclosing the filling.
3. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, and pepper. Dip the sandwiches in one at a time, into the egg mixture, pressing down to saturate both sides. Turn the sandwiches over for a second dunk on the second side if necessary. Don’t let the bread sit in the mixture for long or it will get soggy.
4. Melt the butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. When the butter is melted and hot but not browned, add the sandwiches. Cook for 2 minutes per side, until golden but not brow. Flip each sandwich over and cook for 2 minutes on the second side until golden.
5. Transfer to plates and serve with pancake syrup or honey.