Beef Stew With Corn Bread
- BEEF STEW:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 pounds beef stew meat cut in 1" pieces
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 5 medium carrots chopped
- 1 can tomatoes - (16 oz) cut up
- 1 can cut green beans - (15 1/2 oz) drained
- 1 package frozen Mexican-style vegetables - (10 oz)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chili sauce or ketchup
- 1 tablespoon instant beef bouillon granules
- GOLDEN CORN BREAD:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup melted butter
In plastic bag, combine 1/4 cup of the flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Add beef cubes, a few at a time, shaking to coat.
In skillet, brown meat quickly in hot shortening; transfer to crockery cooker. Add carrots, undrained tomatoes, beans, Mexican-style vegetables, onion, celery, chili sauce and bouillon granules; mix well. Cover; cook on LOW-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours.
Blend 1/2 cup cold water slowly into remaining flour; stir into stew. Cover; cook on HIGH-heat setting until thickened, 30 minutes. Serve over Golden Corn Bread.
Golden Corn Bread: Combine all-purpose flour, yellow cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Combine egg, milk, and butter; add to dry ingredients. Stir until moistened.
Pour into well-greased 8- by 8- by 2-inch baking pan. Bake at 400 degrees until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes
This recipe yields 8 servings.