Roasted Salsa Verde
Roasting peppers brings out a lot of their aromas and natural sweetness, creating deep, smokey flavors.
- 1 pound tomatillos, husks removed
- 2 jalapeño peppers (sliced in half and seeded) OR
- 2 to 3 flame-roasted and peeled New Mexican green chiles
- 1 small onion (sliced into 8 wedges)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 lime (juice and zest)
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Adapted from closetcooking.com
Place the tomatillos, jalapeños and onion in a single layer on a baking sheet with the skin of the peppers up.
Broil in the oven until the tomatillos are blackened all over and the jalapeños skin is blackened (if using roasted green chiles, this step is already done; if using fresh chiles, roast as directed for jalapeños). You may have to remove the peppers from the oven before the tomatillos. (Feel free to remove the charred outer skins first.)
Place all ingredients into a food processor and purée.