- 1 pound extra firm tofu, pressed
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (8 ounces) veggie Canadian bacon
- vegan cheese (one that melts well, like Follow Your Heart Vegan Gourmet, or Tofutti singles)
- vegan English muffins, toasted
- vegan margarine
- vegan mayonnaise (I use Vegenaise), optional
- salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Take a drinking glass which is about the same size around at the top as the English muffins, cut around the cup (or if you want, press the glass into the tofu) so that the tofu comes out round in shape. Take the round piece of tofu and cut it in half horizontally, so you end up with two circular pieces. Take the two halves and cut those into thirds, so that you end up with six round pieces of tofu that are about 1/2 inch thick. If you don't want to make 6 English muffins you can cut the tofu into four pieces if you like, which will yield a thicker egg.
2. On a rimmed baking sheet, pour the apple cider vinegar, olive oil, and salt and mix together. Put the tofu on this mixture and coat both sides. Bake for 10 minutes on one side, then flip and bake for another 10 minutes. (I usually cut up the extra little pieces of tofu and include them in the cooking, they are good to snack on).
3. Place the veggie Canadian bacon on a large frying pan on a medium low to low heat, flip it often and don't allow it to dry up, as it will turn up on the edges. After the tofu pieces are baked, turn off the heat and place a slice of the vegan cheese on top of each of the tofu rounds. I usually make the vegan cheese circular as well, but its your call. Place back in the oven to allow the vegan cheese to melt.
4. Butter English muffins on both sides with the vegan margarine of your choice. If you are using vegan mayonnaise, put it on one side and margarine on the other. Place one of the tofu rounds and Canadian bacon slices between the English muffin halves, salt and pepper to taste, and they are ready to eat.
It sounds like there's not much to them in the way of ingredients, but they come out really well and taste awesome.