Zesty Meatball Sandwiches
- Condiments if desired:
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cloves garlic cloves minced
- (or 1/4 tspn garlic powder)
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1/2 cups bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 can tomato sauce - (16 oz)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 6 hoagie-type sandwich rolls - (to 8) split and warmed
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- Red and yellow pepper strips
- Sliced onions
- Sliced olives
In large bowl, beat egg with salt, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes and garlic. Add chopped onion, beef, turkey, bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese; mix well. Shape mixture into 1-inch balls and brown in a large skillet. Drain meatballs and transfer to a 5-quart Slow cooker.
In the same bowl, mix tomato sauce and wine; pour over meatballs. Cover and cook on LOW for 5 1/2 to 6 hours.
To serve, place 3 to 4 meatballs in each split roll; top with sauce from Slow cooker. If desired add condiments and serve.
This recipe yields 6 to 8 servings.