Macadamia Nut French Toast with Orange Marmalade Syrup
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 (16 oz) loaf Italian bread, cut into 1-inch slices
- 2/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1/2 cup macadamia nuts, chopped and toasted
- Garnishes: powdered sugar, ground nutmeg
- Orange Marmalade Syrup
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup orange marmalade
Combine first 6 ingredients in a bowl, stirring well.
Arrange bread slices in a single layer in a lightly greased 15 x 10 x 1-inch jellyroll pan. Pour egg mixture over bread slices; cover and chill at least 8 hours, turning bread once.
Pour butter into a 15 x 10 x 1-inch jellyroll pan; place bread slices in a single layer in pan. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes; sprinkle with nuts. Bake 10 additional minutes. Garnish, if desired. Serve immediately.
For syrup, combine maple syrup and marmalade in a small saucepan, and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Yield: 1 cup.